Matt's scripture for the week

Therefore, … whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely;

Alma 42:27





Wednesday, August 31, 2011

DR_CCM_8_25_2011

Dear Family,                                                                                            August 25, 2011

Happy half Birthday to me! haha

The hurricane went over us.  But between the fogged out windows, the 20 foot wall, and the fact that we don't get to go outside and can only walk in one hallway we didn't even noticed anything happened! J haha I figured we would hear some crazy winds, but I guess it wasn't that bad.  People have been living with storms like that al of their lives.  I did, however, see lightning one night but that was about it. Our teachers told us that there was going to be a storm but they didn't want us to worry about it I guess.

I got Dads letters and I was the talk of the hallway.  I got 5 “Dear Elder.com” letters! Not many people got any letters! Even though most of it (22 letters) was a conference talk! Ha, I really loved it and it gave me something to read before I went to bed !!!! Thanks so much for it Dad! Mom get better please!!!! I want to go to the duck park that sounds awesome!!!

 We went to the temple this morning and it was amazing!!! We did an endowment session and then went down to the baptistery and did baptisms and confirmations. So, I‘ve been through most everything there is to do in the temple now, which I think is really, really awesome!!!!
 
It was so good to hear about Jeff being able to baptise Will and name and bless Tate.! Tell Will congratulations on his baptism and Tate on his naming and blessing.  It would have been nice to be there, but I hope to be doing some of that here in the DR shortly.  That’s an honor that Ty wanted me to baptize him, but I’m glad his Dad was able to.  That will help create a whole new bond between them. 
   
I have to tell you about our MTC President. The man is my hero. He is about grandpa Francom’s age and has the heart of a champion! haha His name is President Glazier.  He and his wife have been down here in the DR at the CCM (Centro de Capacitacion Misional) for about 9 months.  I think he is awesome. Because the CCM is so small, we always get to see and interact with him. 

The teachers like I said don't speak much English and it really hard trying to learn from them- having to concentrate on their words and try to run them thru my brain to see if I know what they are saying.  Soon I hope to be able to go with the flow and understand rather than trying to translate in my brain as they talk.  So, it’s just me and my comp with our heads down in books trying to learn this language that the people speak down here, which isn't Spanish! 

The food is amazing! That surprised me!  The chicken and beef are the best, and the beans and rice are so tasty.  I guess they prepare 4 meals a day here, but currently we are only getting 3.  Lunch is huge and dinner is smaller!

5 more weeks in the CCM seems like an eternity – this too shall pass - but once I get in the field I know I’ll love it.  I just can't wait to be able to speak to people! I can throw out some Spanish and have them respond but then it is a struggle from there! I know I’m speaking Spanish to them but I’m still not sure what there speaking back to me – Japaneese??

The kids are awesome; we played basketball with them in the parking lot a couple days ago. They are just like i remembered them!

When I got off of the plane I did what Dad told me and just took a deep breath of …. water! Ha it’s so humid here!  And said “this is home for 2 years, and I love it!”

The airport was a struggle. ha Not many of the missionaries wanted to try and help with the bags.  So my comp and I were trying to talk to the people that were helping us while throwing bags on the bus at 11 p.m.  I helped mainly because I wanted to get to a bed!! ha jk .

Send your email to me on Wednesday night because I get to read them early Thursday morning before we go to the Temple.  Then I can reply to them in the afternoon. Dear Elder.com still come but, I don't know if they cost money or not!

(FYI  Dear Elder.com has a deadline of Sunday at midnight – so they can get the letters printed and into the Church Office building for Tuesday shipping.  Then the Elders at the Dominican MTC or CCM should have them a few days after that.)

Thank you Mommy for replying this morning! You’re the best!!!

 I sent a letter to all of my siblings today so I can test out the letter system.  So, let me know when you get them!!!


I love you and can't wait to hear from you all – it’s your turn to write.


LOVE ELDER GRINER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment