Matt's scripture for the week

Therefore, … whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely;

Alma 42:27





Sunday, May 6, 2012

D 7


Okay!!! Hello my dear loved ones!                                             2 May 2012

This week’s weather in Dajabon has been a slight chance of sun with way to much rain and thunder.  I broke two pair of shoes in the rain. Haha. We´re still having fun and doing good! . About the Mothers day call, I will just be calling you guys that night at about 7:30 your time after we finish with our days work because they celebrate mother’s day in Chile (for my comp) on some other day. So I will call and you so you have the number that I’ll be at and then you will just need to call me back using the calling card so it doesn’t cost a lot. 

I would like to fill you guys in on all of the people that we have found and that are progressing! It has been a miracle with my new comp.  The little guy knows how to teach and I know a little bit about finding, so, put together, with God’s help , we are unstoppable ha . My whole mission I haven’t really liked knocking doors but Elder Guerrero really helped me with that. Now I absolutely love doing it. We are learning to effectively find and teach new people - our area is still really really new. Last Saturday we walked up to a house and without saying anything, this 14 year old kid told us to come in and that his mom would be there in a little bit, ha. So we went in and sat down and she came in with the biggest smile on her face and we hadn’t even talked yet. We got the chance to talk for a minute and set a cita ( appointment )for when her husband would be home.  So we went the other day and taught them – it was really amazing – the Spirit was really strong there and it ended up that she, her husband and kids all accepted the invitation to be baptized!  After that we finished with a prayer, she offered us juice and cookies and while we ate I talked with the dad about baseball and my comp sat there just confused as to what we were talking about because he doesn’t know much about the sport. But, this family is amazing and I hope they continue to progress.

Oh, we live in the city of mangos!!! There is a mango tree in every backyard!  I have grown to love them. Whenever we are walking and I see one that is ready I throw a rock to get it down and then eat it on the way to our citas (appointments). They are amazing. I have learned to like coconut milk also. It just sucks that we have to use a machete to open them. And I don’t usually carry a machete around with me when we are out and about!  Haha! 

OK so my new greenie comp is from Chile, like I said, and he is just a little guy like about 5’5” or 5’6” and he speaks so muffled that I can barely understand him half the time. Also he uses words that I have never heard in my life.  So I’m becoming aware that I only understand Dominicans that speak like gangsters.  But, I’m still learning - I guess it’s like the old saying goes, the more you know, the more you find out what you don’t know, haha! This kid is also a Bible master.  He has a scripture from the bible for EVERYTHING. So, in the lessons I answer questions with references from the LDM (Book of Mormon) and he references the Bible. So our investigators get testimonies from both books of scripture – In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established (2 Cor 13:1)… I’m learning to teach from the Bible from him, he’s learning more about the LDM from me. So I guess you could say that we are training each other and I’m helping him know about the mission haha. I love him and we are going to have fun in our time together.

We have an investigator that is going to be baptized this month, her name is Irislady. She’s 22 and has a kid, and to see her for the first time you would never think a person like her would even want to know about the gospel. But she is so, so humble and wants to change her life for the better. She has gotten to a point where she doesn’t need us to prompt her to read or come to church or doing anything. She’s growing her own testimony and we are just kind of there for her support and questions and watching her love and need for the Savior grow.  I think I have asked her like 4 times why in the world she wants to make so many changes in her life and to do all of this, every time she answers the question with her testimony. She is awesome and I can’t wait to see her improve. 

Our mission president is going home in July and so we are winding down our time with him. He had us read a talk about what was really important in our lives and it made me realize what those things are and the first thing that came to my mind was my family. Here, in la Republica Dominicana, you never see families together.  It makes me so happy to see ours together, I am really lucky to have that. I hope that you know that I love you all and that I know our heavenly father has a plan for us and everything happens for a reason. He tries us to see how we will act in our times of need and also to build us up.

LOVE ALL OF YA 
ELDER GRINER

No comments:

Post a Comment