Matt's scripture for the week

Therefore, … whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely;

Alma 42:27





Tuesday, January 17, 2012

EE 16


Saludos.....! ha                                                      Jan 11,2012

What’s up familia! I miss ya a lot and hope everything is going good!!!! We had a fun week with a lot of different experiences. We got a whole new district this last transfer and most of them are brand new missionaries. We’re always together and having fun!  It’s good to hear that ya’ll got grandpa and grandma out safely and that they are fine. I can only imagine trying to move everything out of that house!!! I remember doing the storage and it was a hassle!

But wow, this has been a fun week.  We are teaching so so many lessons and are trying to find people that actually want to listen and act.  The surprising thing is that we have found more inactive members that were baptized and have gone inactive for one reason or another, than we have found new people.

We were walking down the street just one down from ours and stopped at a house that had music blasting out of it.  We came to find out that the family that lives there have been inactive for about 8 years. haha We taught them twice and the third time we went back there the son who is 23 told us a story that cracked me up. First off, he is a little out of it, and talks way too much.  But, he was telling us about a dream that he had and in the dream, God appeared to him and told him that he had one more chance.  As he was telling us he was closing his eyes and feeling the wall and waving his hands!! hah but, ya that he had one more chance and it would be his last to do the best he could. I couldn’t help but laugh inside while he was talking, he was sooooo dramatic.

We had a earthquake run through the island this last week.  It was really small but scared the crap out of me. It was about 5:30 in the morning and I was still sound asleep (I sleep with ear plugs so I couldn’t hear anything), but all of a sudden, I just feel my bed start to move back and forth and I didn’t have any clue what was going on! I woke up and my comp hopped right out of his bed and made sure that I didn’t get up out of mine (he knows what’s up with earth quakes because he was there in Haiti when the big one hit there).  So, he was freaking out. Things rumbled and shook for about 30 seconds and our building was moving like it was sand! Crazy stuff!  Hopefully, the world really doesn’t end this year...... haha.

We went this last week without electricity. We were studying and planning in candle light.  We even had to hand wash our clothes!  It was a great time and I can’t wait to do it again..... It’s never dull around here.  We called our building owner for the 4th time and he finally got it fixed for us.

There is an investigator that we have who is the cousin of one of our stronger members.  We were at her house teaching her and while we were teaching one of her friends walked in the door and started saying hi to everyone in the room and giving people kisses on the cheek like everyone does here.  When it came to my turn, I didn’t occur to me that she was going to do the same to me, but then she went in for it. I moved my seat back and turned my head - at the same time my camp yelled NOOO haha!  She stopped just that close and then we had to explain that missionaries are off limits and can’t do that!  She felt so bad. I was as embarrassed as ever but it turned out to just be funny and a good story! Haha

We started and are teaching a book of Mormon class in the ward because we feel that no one knows anything about it.  So, tomorrow we’ll have our first class!  We passed around a list at church and had people that wanted take the class sign it.  There were a lot of people that signed up. Hopefully, we can get a message across about the importance of the book of Mormon in our religion. My mission in El Ejido has changed a lot with my new companion.  We are now focusing mainly on the Ward because it needs tons of help. The gospel is still young here and there’s not a lot of experience to help sustain the members, let alone to help build up the new converts.

 I love all of you!! BYE BYE

ELDER GRINER

No comments:

Post a Comment