Matt's scripture for the week

Therefore, … whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely;

Alma 42:27





Sunday, May 5, 2013

CF 2


Hey family and friends!                                                                                 May 1, 2013

I live in a section of Cien Fuegos called La Gloria. Umm. For P-day this morning, we went over to the church and played catch and pepper with our investigators and then went shopping for groceries, cleaned, and did laundry!
 
Dad thanks for sending the great news about Kyler getting his call!  That’s so, so cool that he’s coming here to this mission.  He’ll love it.  And the people here will love him.  It made me cry when you told me! Haha.   Will you get me his email?
 
This week has been so, so cool. I have worked so hard with my new comp and we are having a ton of fun in our area. In this last transfer, I was glad that I was given a District to work with. I can finish my mission working more closely with fewer companionships and will now have more time to proselyte in my own area without spending so much time in the leadership role, traveling, and holding and being at meetings. Don’t get me wrong, I loved being a Zone Leader for over half of my mission, but this is cool on a District level.  I guess each calling has it plusses and minuses.  But the Lord puts us where He needs us to be to help others and grow ourselves.  My District is awesome.  In our district we have 6 elders and 2 sisters.  It covers Cien Fuegos, La Libertad, and La Union.  So it’s pretty big but we only have two chapels.  Cien Fuegos is a place that has lots of thief’s, drugs, dealers, and some kind of off-of-the wall people.  But, everywhere I’ve been the ”bad” people protect the Mormon missionaries! haha so I’m not too worried, and it’s about exactly the same as my first area in El Ejido. 
 
My comp is from San Pedro de Marcoris, Dominican Republic (that’s down on the south east part of the island).  He is pumped to serve here.  Almost all of the Dominicans that serve here knew of or wanted to serve in Santiago, because as all missionaries say it’s the best mission in the world! haha

On Friday I did a baptismal interview for the other elders in Cien Fuegos and the lady knew so so much and has felt that the gospel is true.  But she didn’t show up on Saturday for her baptism! haha That’s a first for me and even though I didn’t teach her, that was still weird.  We talked with her to find out what the issue was.  She was called into work!!! How crappy! Haha.  She’s still coming to church and everything and has a new baptismal date.  So it’s all good.

My comp and I are going to have a baptism this Saturday, it is a kid that is 15 years old and knows so much about the gospel.  He wants to get baptized first in his family because his Mom and Dad aren’t ready yet, but when that time comes they’ll all be together in the gospel.  Oh, his name’s Danny.

Each missionary has his own style of working.  Each has the same goal in mind.  But as I have been here with Elder Santana, we work a little differently than he was used to.  We study and do situational discussions and training, and walk fast and teach a lot.  I guess they didn’t do that before so much.  He gets back to the house everyday beat and tired! ha

I can really see the influence of the spirit in my mission.  It seems like there’s a reason for being at every house that we contact.  When we arrive we meet people that need the gospel in their lives and want to hear our message.  Our area is Huge and we don’t have the chance to meet all the people.  But as we follow the Spirit, I know that we are meeting those whom we should be meeting.  I love that feeling.  The Lord is hastening His work and I’m glad I’m on His team and in a place where I can help.
 
The gospel is something that I have come to love and appreciate so much in my life. I understand why I’m here, and have learned what I need to do to be able to return to live with God again. I cannot tell you how cool that would be, to be in front of the Savior and as it says in Alma 5 he will tell me to come thy works have been works of righteousness.  The gospel and the mission have saved and changed my life and I would invite everyone who reads this to let it do the same to you!

LOVE YOU !!!!
--

ELDER MATT GRINER
Mission Santiago RD
2011-2013

P.S. I got my flight plans for my return home.  I’ll be leaving this little piece of paradise on July 18th at 8:10 a.m. eastern time arriving in Miami at 10:25 a.m. then leaving Miami (after a layover) at 12:00 noon arriving in Los Angeles, CA at 3:40 pacific time, a layover until 5:05 pacific and then arriving in SLC at 7:50 p.m. mountain time and then home to Provo at o'dark:30 p.m. 

Note from the Dad.
We are thinking of taking Front Runner and Trax to pick him up.  That way we can all spend some time with him.  It takes about 1:45 minutes to do the public transportation thing each way.  This is just a consideration now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment